Monday, July 19, 2010

BIRDSONG

When we first moved to where we are now, I noticed a lot of songbirds. Really pretty, hearing them sing. Down in town, mostly just stupid annoying mocking birds. Shoot them all. No, you can't, no guns allowed in city limits.
Most of the little birds, I think are 'Phoebe' birds. sweet song. Even if they did wake us up at 5 in the AM.
But, before my Hb. chased them away, I taught them a new song. And now I can tell my flock from the other birds. I taught them: "sweet, sweet, pretty bird, pretty bird-sweet babee-e". They puzzle the other Phoebes, and those try to sing it, but, can't get the accent right.
Long ago, I had read about a guy, who went around studying the birds of this valley. The west birds had a different dialect, from the birds on the east side. I forget how many dialects he recorded. But, it was very informative.
So, That's why I did it. and it worked. Now there is a bird flock with a different dialect, that wasn't there before. We've been here 6 years, and there is a large number of my birds.
The Silverlight Phoebe
********************************

No comments: