Thursday, June 11, 2009

BIRTHDAY GIFT

Mom's birthday was in May, It always got tangled up with Memorial Day and Mother's Day.
Here is a story about a gift.
*****************
I do have a couple of other anecdotes to tell about. Not sure which one to relate. They both are precious to me.
Well, I will use this one, because it is related to a Mother's Day story I wrote last year on my other blog.
Another time when we were in the city and were in our room after a long day.
I turned to Mom and said, " Mom? Would you like it if I used your first name when I addressed you?"
She was sitting on her bed getting ready for bed. She, sort of took a flinch, looked down, then turned her head to look at me sideways, then she replied, " Why ? Does it embarrass you to be seen with your Mother?"
I said, " What? Oh, my, no!" "That's not it at all. I am so lucky to have a Mom like you, both Mother and friend." (or something like that. This was a ticklish idea I was going to present.)
" I know how much it has always meant to you have your own person, your own identity. Apart from being 'Mrs.' and 'Mom'. And you tell people it's ok to call you by your own name. "Down here no one knows us, so there would be no one to criticize us for me using your name. You would have the chance be just yourself."
Mom looked at me for a moment, then turned her head and gazed down. She gave the idea some long consideration. I wasn't sure what her answer would be.
I was hoping she would say yes. Because I thought it would make her happy. I could see the emotions playing across her face as she contemplated my offer.
Then, she took a little breath, turned to look at me. She said, "No, I have only one daughter to Call me Mother. there are a lot of other people to call me by my name. But, only you and your brothers to call me Mom".
She knew and I knew what she had surrendered to pass up my offer.
I walked over to her, and sat down on the bed and hugged her. I let her break the hug first. Although I could tell when I felt her relax her arms, when to let go. So, it was mutual.
So, I got up and went to the other bed and got ready to go to bed.
We never spoke of it again. It was just between us.
It was too precious a thing.
*****************

No comments: