Monday, January 25, 2010

TONI

This is the new E&B re-issue of the popular 1950's fashion doll. The original was 14 inches. but the new doll is 13 inches, to insure that the two dolls can not be mixed up. And that the new doll could not be sold fraudulently as an original. Very forward thinking.
By the time the original doll was released, Mom said I was too old for dolls. So, I couldn't get one. I eventually was able to change her mind about being too old for dolls.
Over the years of my collecting, and always looking the right doll to add to my collection. I ran across quite a few real Toni's. But, in this case, I decided I didn't want 'used' doll. Which is funny, because all my other dolls are technically 'second hand'.
So, OK. Time passes.
I had told myself that I didn't need any new dolls. But, I have picked up a small few anyway. But, I had been seeing some interest in the 50's fashion dolls, featured in the Tonner magazine. He was presenting a revival and appreciation of past fashion dolls. Which is really terrific.
Since I had purchased three of the new MOXIE dolls for myself at Christmas, as I was gleaning the web, looking for doll sources, other than eBay, I ran across a doll shop here in my part of the state. She had the new Toni. So, hum, um. Maybe. Let me think about it. Oh, well, yeah. She was everything a little girl could dream of in a doll. Just the type I would have ooohed over. I had my Hb. send for her, for me. She was to be a Valentine's gift. Right, didn't happen. Had to have her now. She still counts as a Valentine gift anyway. He doesn't need to get a new gift. He's covered.
She is going to be hard to dress, because, although that set of undies looks nifty. Clothes look lumpy over it. And she will, have to have a few dresses, or else, she is not a true fashion doll.
*******************************
My childhood doll Maribelle, may be just a tad jealous. I shall have to assure her, that she is still first in my regard.
*************************

No comments: